Benzodiazepine Rehab Centers in North Carolina
Benzodiazepines (also known as benzos) are depressant drugs that produce feelings of relaxation or sedation. They are used to treat anxiety disorders and insomnia and to reduce seizures and muscle spasms. These drugs are only available via prescription, however, many popular benzos are sold on the streets. Some of the most widely abused benzodiazepines include:
- Diazepam (Valium)
- Clonazepam (Klonopin)
- Chlordiazepoxide (Librium)
- Lorazepam (Ativan)
These benzos, among others, produce effects that are similar to alcohol, barbiturates, and sleeping pills. Benzos can also be habit-forming if taken long-term, and highly addictive if abused.
More than 5.3 million Americans abuse benzodiazepines. If you or a loved one are struggling with benzodiazepine addiction, a drug rehab center in North Carolina can help.
Signs of Benzodiazepine Addiction
Since benzodiazepines are prescription medications, it can be easy to justify benzo use. However, when you move from benzo abuse into addiction, you may begin experiencing specific signs and symptoms of a substance use disorder.
Common signs of benzodiazepine addiction include:
- Symptoms of withdrawal when abruptly stopping benzos
- Drug cravings
- Needing to take higher doses to produce the desired effects (tolerance)
- Seeking multiple prescriptions from different doctors (doctor shopping)
- Lying to friends and family about drug use
- Continuing to take benzos even if they are causing problems to your health or personal life
- You have tried to stop taking benzos but you were unsuccessful
- You feel like you have to take benzos to get through the day
Addiction is a chronic, lifelong disorder, but it is treatable. Finding a benzodiazepine rehab center that can meet your unique needs will enable you to live free from addiction.
Choosing a Benzodiazepine Rehab Center in North Carolina
Choosing the right addiction treatment center is imperative for your recovery. When finding treatment for yourself or a loved one, consider the following:
- Dual diagnosis treatment – Benzos are often prescribed to people who struggle with mental illness. At the same time, more than half of people who struggle with substance use disorder also have a mental health condition. As a result, you may consider seeking an integrated dual diagnosis rehab program that treats mental health and addiction at the same time.
- Level of care – Benzodiazepine addiction treatment is offered at multiple levels of care including inpatient and outpatient. The more severe your addiction is, the higher level of care you require. A substance abuse evaluation with a mental health professional can help you determine which level of care is right for you.
- Licensure & accreditation – Quality drug and alcohol rehab centers are state-licensed and accredited by a third-party organization such as the Joint Commission or CARF. Licensure and accreditation ensure evidence-based care, patient safety, and a commitment to treatments that really work.
- Insurance coverage – The cost of treatment is a major concern for most people, but drug detox and rehab are covered by insurance. Make the most of your insurance coverage and receive treatment at the lowest possible cost by choosing a benzo rehab center that is in-network with your health plan.
What to Expect During Benzodiazepine Addiction Treatment
The benzodiazepine recovery process involves detoxing the body from addictive substances as well as addressing the root causes of addiction using intensive counseling techniques. Treatment begins with a comprehensive substance abuse evaluation where a team of medical professionals will assess your physical and psychiatric health to create a patient profile for you. Your unique patient profile is then used to curate a custom-tailored treatment plan designed to meet your needs.
While treatment may vary between one recovery center to the next, this is what you can expect during benzodiazepine rehab in North Carolina:
Benzodiazepines are physically addictive, and detoxing from them without medical supervision can be dangerous. Withdrawal symptoms such as agitation, anxiety, hallucinations, and seizures can be severe. As a result, medical detox is the first phase of treatment.
During detox, long-acting benzodiazepines like Valium may be prescribed to help you slowly taper off of benzos without having to endure severe withdrawal symptoms. Nurses will monitor your vitals and symptoms to ensure your safety. This can reduce your risk for life-threatening symptoms as well as the potential for relapse.
After detox, you may transition into your residential or outpatient rehab program.
Counseling and therapy that are tailored to your needs are essential components of addiction recovery. During treatment, you will engage in a variety of group and individual therapy modalities to uncover, address, and heal from the root cause of your addiction.
While working closely with trained substance abuse counselors and mental health specialists, you will learn to get rid of unhealthy behaviors and replace them with healthy coping mechanisms that support a healthy lifestyle. You will also develop a detailed relapse prevention plan that helps you identify relapse triggers and cope with them in a positive way.
Treatment often lasts between 30 and 90 days, but the length of care may vary depending on the severity of your addiction, the type of support you have outside of rehab, and the progress you make during treatment.
Aftercare refers to ongoing outpatient treatments that help you effectively manage your addiction. Most benzodiazepine rehab centers in North Carolina offer a variety of aftercare programs, including:
- 12-Step groups
- Sober living
- Outpatient treatment
- Mental health counseling
- Alumni program
- Medication management
These resources can help you cope with triggers in early recovery while also reinforcing the coping tools you learned during treatment. People who participate in aftercare are often more likely to remain sober.
Start Benzodiazepine Rehab in North Carolina Today
At Carolina Center for Recovery, benzodiazepine addiction treatment is covered by insurance and we are in-network with most major insurance providers. We design custom-tailored holistic treatment programs that are uniquely designed to meet your individual needs. Between individualized treatment, a world-class clinical team, and a comfortable living facility, we have the resources you need to achieve sobriety.
Start your recovery today by speaking with a team member at Carolina Center for Recovery. We’re always here to help.